TIME COMMITMENT: Full-time, exempt position. On occasion, the position requires evening and weekend work, as well as inter-island travel.
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary, based on experience. Benefits include: paid vacation, medical insurance, retirement matching, subject to a 6-month probationary period.
LOCATION: SJPT staff offices are located in Friday Harbor. The demands of this position require that the candidate live in the San Juan Islands. Considerable travel between islands is required.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Membership and Outreach Manager is responsible for maintaining and building financial support through membership and annual giving programs; and by engaging community members and SJPT members through events, outings, communications and volunteer opportunities. This position reports directly to the Director of Philanthropy, works closely with the Executive Director and other staff, and requires considerable interaction with SJPT board members, donors and volunteers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in the development of strategies to cultivate, recruit, retain and upgrade members through membership drives, annual appeals and communications tactics. Manage the implementation of these tactics.
- Manage SJPT’s membership database (Raiser’s Edge) and provide database support to SJPT staff. The individual in this position is the in-house Raiser’s Edge database expert and is/will become proficient at managing the database in order to obtain the data needed for gift tracking, donor communications, reporting and campaign analysis.
- Process all gifts and pledges, and provide timely and personal acknowledgments.
- Participate in creating fundraising plans and budgets for SJPT projects and programs.
- Plan and coordinate membership outreach activities (outings, events, communications, etc.), and assist with educational activities, capital campaigns, land tours, meetings, and other special events.
- Provide excellent donor-centered customer service.
- Participate as part of SJPT’s social media communications team.
- Manage volunteer program: oversee volunteer recruitment, assignments, tracking and recognition.
- Support Director of Philanthropy in other fundraising projects and assignments, as needed.
- Perform as a team member with other SJPT staff on other program goal areas, including assistance with special projects and other duties (as assigned).
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
A dynamic individual is sought who shares our passion for the objectives of SJPT, which are to protect and care for special places in the San Juan Islands.
- Bachelors Degree desired.
- At minimum, two years’ experience required in business and/or non-profit administration, fundraising, marketing or public relations.
- Ability to effectively manage projects and events.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills are required.
- Strategic and analytical thinking.
- Skills desired in the following PC software:
- Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge or applicable experience.
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest)
- Professional, friendly demeanor.
- Exceptional ability to manage multiple tasks and to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to work effectively with a broad variety of individuals and political perspectives.
- Must be willing to work irregular hours on occasion and to travel within the islands frequently. Some travel to the Seattle area may also be required.
Additional Qualifications: Candidate must be able to thrive within a small non-profit office environment, possess a strong belief in land conservation, and demonstrate a passion for protecting the San Juan Islands.
ABOUT THE PRESERVATION TRUST:
Founded in 1979, the San Juan Preservation Trust (www.sjpt.org) is a nationally accredited private, non-profit and membership-based land trust dedicated to helping people and communities conserve land in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. The Preservation Trust has permanently protected more than 270 properties, 38 miles of shoreline and 15,000 acres on 20 islands, including land now managed as public parks, nature preserves, wildlife habitat, and working farms and forests. SJPT is an equal opportunity employer.
DEADLINE: Search open until position is filled.
Please submit cover letter, resume and references by email to email@example.com (please include “Membership and Outreach” in the subject line), or by regular mail to:
Barbara Courtney, Director of Philanthropy
The San Juan Preservation Trust
PO Box 327
Lopez Island, WA 98261
The San Juan Preservation Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer