Swans over Cascade Lake | Steve Alboucq
Thank you for registering to help us with our annual swan count! Please read through the instructions below and if you have any questions about anything, please email Sierra O’Connell (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have not yet registered, our territories are covered for this year (2021), but please let us know if you would like to volunteer for the 2022 count.
- Please count your swans in your assigned area any time between 8am-11am on the day of the count (you may count earlier if that is more convenient; just don’t count in the afternoon as the swans may move around, resulting in double-counting). If you notice swans during this time in another area, and you do NOT see that area covered by this count, you can record them. SJPT will be checking for possible overlap/double counting.
- Please respect private property owners and unless you have permission to access private land, count from the roadside.
- Though it is highly unlikely that we will see Tundra Swans, nature is unpredictable—so brush up on the minute differences in field markings, just to be ready. If you think you see a Tundra, and have a good camera, please try to get a photograph.
- Please locate your assigned territory’s map below. If you have questions about your map, or need a map (for those looking in private access areas) please contact Kathleen (email@example.com).
- To fill out the form online: open the google doc here: Swan Survey 2021 Online. Find and open the tab with your last name to record information on your individual sheet (tabs are located on the very bottom of the page and names are listed alphabetically).
- To fill out a hard copy of the form: open the PDF here: Swan Survey 2021 PDF. Please scan/email them back to firstname.lastname@example.org; drop off at SJPT offices in Friday Harbor or at Red Mill Farm; or snail mail to PO Box 759, Friday Harbor, WA 98250.
- Please return your form(s) promptly by Jan 22, 2021.
- For fun, we are hosting a photo contest this year! Winning photographers will have their photo featured in our upcoming Email Newsletter and will be sent a Preservation Trust coffee mug. —>
- Once all forms are received and documented, we’ll be following up with the count results, both for SJ County and regionally.